As October is upon us and there is a slight chill in the air, you can be sure that Autumn is upon us. For me, butternut squash symbolizes everything good and wholesome about Fall. As everything begins to take on an orangeish hue (except here in Southern California) and the trees drop their leaves, there is something truly satisfying about a hearty stew or other wholesome dish made with one of the late season squashes such as pumpkin, acorn or butternut.
As an ode to the promise of a delightful fall-season, I’ve scoured the internet for a list of delicious butternut squash recipes to share with you. For even more inspiration, check out my Butternut Squash page on Pinterest.
First things first, here’s a great tutorial on how to cut and peel a butternut squash without hurting yourself from Simply Recipes.com. Now for the recipes…
1. Butternut Squash Waffles – With super young children around, my family’s favorite way to eat just about any vegetable is pureed and baked in a waffle, pancake or muffin.
2. Vegetarian Butternut Squash Chili from Cookie and Kate – What a great way to warm up on a chilly fall evening.
3. Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese from Raise Healthy Eaters – now this is comfort food.
4. Hearty Chicken Stew with Butternut Squash and Quinoa from Cookin’ Canuck – just what this girl needs on a crisp fall evening.
5. Butternut Squash and Sage Dinner Rolls from What’s Cookin’ Chicago? – These would make a delicious addition to any Thanksgiving spread.
6. Crockpot Beef and Butternut Squash Stew from Eat Live Run – Simple, hearty and delicious.
7. Chipotle Butternut Squash and Black Bean Burrito Bowl from Closet Cooking – give your squash a little spicy kick!
8. Butternut Squash Muffins with Cream Cheese Frosting from Sprightliest – I’m trying these for our next preschool potluck!
9. Butternut Squash Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting from Une Gamine Dans La Cuisine – don’t these look heavenly?