The farmer’s market is overflowing with a bounty of summer produce around here and my CSA delivery has been sending all sorts of delicious veggies too. One of my favorite ways to prepare summer vegetables like eggplant and squash is on the grill, brushed lightly with oil and seasoned with salt and pepper. This week I’m putting these veggies into some delicious summer calzones. Calzones are super versatile and you can use just about any veggie combination depending on what you have at your disposal. While this version is vegetarian, it would also be delicious with sausage or grilled chicken.
Here’s how they are made:
Grill sliced and seasoned veggies on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes per side.
Once veggies are cooked, allow them to cool and then dice into approx. ½ inch pieces or as desired.
Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and roll out onto a floured surface into approximately 9×11 inch rectangles. Mix veggies, basil and oregano in a large mixing bowl. Cover half of the first dough piece with ¼ of the diced veggie mixture and ½ cup mozzarella.
Fold the dough over creating a crescent shape and pinch/seal the edges all around. Transfer to a baking sheet and brush with olive oil or use an oil mister if you have one.
- 1lb prepared pizza dough
- 1 eggplant
- 2 summer squash or zucchini
- 1 onion
- 6 button mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Marinara sauce (served on the side for dipping)
- Grill veggies;
- Preheat grill to medium heat (about 375 degrees F)
- Slice eggplant, zucchini and onion into ½ inch slices. Spread out veggie slices and mushrooms on a cookie sheet or tray and brush with olive oil on all sides. Season veggies with salt and pepper.
- Place veggies in a single layer on an oiled grill rack for 2-3 minutes each side. Monitor closely so they don’t burn. Remove from heat and allow to rest.
- Once veggies are cooled off, dice into approx. ½ inch pieces or as desired.
- Prepare calzones;
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces and roll out onto a floured surface into approximately 11x 9 inch rectangles.
- Mix veggies, basil and oregano in a large mixing bowl.
- Cover half of the first dough piece with ¼ of the diced veggie mixture and ½ cup mozzarella.
- Fold the dough over and pinch/seal the edges all around. Transfer to a baking sheet and brush with olive oil.
- Repeat with remaining 3 pieces of dough.
- Bake at 350F for 25 minutes, or until dough is golden brown.
- Cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a side of marinara sauce for dipping.
- Notes: These calzones freeze beautifully so make extra.
An oil mister like this one makes oiling the grill or basting the calzones a breeze.
This post was linked on Mix it Up Monday, Inspiration Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Fat Tuesday, Tuesday Tastings, Tuesday Talent Show, Real Food Wednesday, Works for me Wednesday, Healthy 2 Day Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, Party Wave Wednesday, What’s Cookin Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Tasty Traditions, Thank Your Body Thursday, Thrifty Thursday, Little House in the Suburbs, From the Farm, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Swap and Share Sunday and BBQ Block Party.