Summer is in full swing and for most backyard gardeners, that means an over abundance of zucchini (and other squash). These vegetables are known for being extremely productive so if your plants are successful, you probably have a surplus right about now. Personally I just can’t seem to grow squash, they always start off looking great and I get a few early in the season…then the zucchini’s start to wilt and fall off the vine and the leaves get powdery mildew in a big way. My personal theory is that our yard is too coastal and the salt air is killing them. Next year I’ll do a little more research before I plant, but for this year at least my CSA share is keeping me stocked with these tasty emerald gems.
Here are some of the tastiest zucchini recipes I could find from around the web this week to help us all with figuring out what to do with all the bounty.
1. Zucchini Carrot Mini Muffins: This one is my recipe and a breakfast staple at our house.
2. Faux Potato Pancakes from MudPies and Tiaras: what a genius idea!
3. Grilled Zucchini and Grape Tomato Salad from The Kitchn: I’m loving recipes that use both zucchini and tomatoes. This might be good with a little fresh mozzarella or goat cheese.
4. Tomato Zucchini Soup from Simmworks Family Blog: I’m experiencing a bumper crop of tomatoes this year so this recipe is perfect for me. This is also from a fellow San Diego blogger so I wanted to give her a shout out.
5. Sautéed Zucchini: I make this at least once per week during the summer. Simply slice zucchini (or summer squash) into 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices and sauté in about 1 tsp olive oil over medium heat. Once the squash is browned on one side, flip to the other side and brown again (about 2-3 minutes per side). Season with salt and pepper.
6. Grilled Veggie Quesadillas from Lemons for Lulu: We ate these for dinner earlier in the week and they were delicious!
7. Bacon Zucchini Frittata: Yummy! I love frittatas for easy weekend brunch!
8. Baked Zucchini Fries from Two Peas & Their Pod: The kids are going to love these.
9. Tasty Stuffed Zucchini: These look a little spicy. My hubby will love that!
10. Chocolate Zucchini Bread from SixSistersStuff: Yummy!! Enough said!
Now for the Giveaway…
For those of us who don’t have an abundance of zucchini growing in our yard, we will need to purchase it either at the farmers market or the grocery store. One of my favorite products for doing such shopping are the Flip and Tumble Reuseable Produce Bags. I use these every time I shop for produce instead of wasting all those little plastic bags and people always ask me where I got them from. These retail for $11.00 on Amazon, but I’m giving away one set for free to one of my valued readers.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This post was linked on: Inspiration Monday, Mix-It Up Monday, Homestead Barn Hop, Little House in the Suburbs, From the Farm Blog Hop, Fat Tuesday, Real Food Wednesday, Cast Party Wednesday, Wonderful Wednesday, Works for Me Wednesday, Healthy 2Day Wednesday, Party Wave Wednesday, Whole Foods Wednesday, What’s Cooking Wednesday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways, Thank Your Body Thursday, Tasty Traditions, Old-Fashioned Friday, Strut Your Stuff Saturday and Swap and Share Sunday.